We are thrilled that NSS was successful in joining the Active School Travel (AST) program in 2019. This award-winning three-year program promotes road safety and sustainable and healthy travel options such as walking, cycling, scootering, carpooling and public transport.
As an AST School, Newmarket State School receives a suite of free resources, tools and incentives to enable students, parents, carers and teachers to leave the car at home and actively travel to school. It’s all about creating healthier, more active students and families, increasing road safety awareness, safer streets and continuing to tackle traffic congestion.
As an AST School, NSS receives a range of exciting and valuable resources, including:
- a dedicated Council expert who will work closely with your school’s AST committee and provide specialist advice on the best ways to increase active travel
- an AST passport for every student, plus rewards and incentives
- assembly performances
- bike skills training
- scooter skills training
- RACQ Streets Ahead road safety sessions
- survey templates and materials for our weekly active travel days
- collated statistics to showcase our school’s achievements
- interclass and interschool competitions
- curriculum links for teachers to use in the classroom.
AST will celebrate its fifteenth year in 2019, which makes this the biggest and longest-running program of its kind in Queensland. If you would like to be part of the AST committee to help arrange fun events and encourage active travel please contact the school office to express your interest.